ATA Carnet FAQs | Glasgow Chamber of Commerce

ATA Carnet FAQs

How do I apply for an ATA Carnet?

The easiest way to apply for a Carnet is online. Once issued, the Carnet can either be posted to you or it can be collected from the issuing office.


What can an ATA Carnet be used for?

The ATA Carnet is a temporary admission document which acts as a passport for goods for three main categories of goods:

  • Commercial samples (goods to be shown or demonstrated to potential buyers i.e. jewellery, clothing etc)
  • Goods for presentation or use at trade fairs, shows, conferences, works of art to be exhibited at galleries and museums etc
  • Professional equipment (tools and equipment required to perform a paid commercial activity abroad, goods for testing and evaluation, theatrical effects, orchestras, racing vehicles*, broadcasting equipment, specially adapted vehicles** etc). Horses for racing purposes, commercial shows or breeding. Professional equipment must be used by, or under the personal supervision of the holder or his nominated representative 

*Carnets can only be issued for racing vehicles that are transported to the EU or any other Carnet country under transport contract (i.e. by freight forwarder / haulier). Any such vehicles can only be used on a dedicated race-track or on the roads closed to public. If the vehicle is road worthy and is being driven to the country of destination by the owner– then the Carnet is not required (the same applies to personal vehicles being towed or transported by the owner (i.e. motorbike transported to EU in a van by the owner; car being towed behind a motorhome vehicle driven by the owner etc). 

** Specially adapted vehicles can be driven on public roads and include any vehicle with permanently fitted equipment (i.e. broadcasting vans, exhibition trailers, water filter trucks etc)   

How many times can an ATA Carnet be used?

An ATA Carnet can be used for multiple visits to any number of countries specified in the itinerary during the period of the validity of the document. 

How do I use an ATA Carnet?

We have created a guide to assist ATA Carnet holders with using the document correctly. This will help with minimising the exposure to potential claims from the foreign Customs. 

What countries can I use an ATA Carnet for?

Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Australia (including Tasmania), Bahrain, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, Canary Islands (Spain), China, Chile, Cote d'Ivoire, European Union, Faroe Islands, French overseas departments and territories (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane and Reunion, New Caledonia and its dependents of Wallis and Futuna Islands, and French Polynesia (includes Tahiti) as well as St Barthelemy, St Martin, Mayotte and Saint Pierre et Miquelon), Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Republic of, Lebanon, Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia (territory also includes Kuala Lumpur, Sabah and Sarawak), Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Qatar, Russian Federation, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa (territory also includes Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland and Lesotho), Spanish overseas territories of Ceuta and Melilla, Sri Lanka, Switzerland (territory includes Liechtenstein), Taiwan (not covered by ATA Carnet; a separate Carnet is available from London Chamber), Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, USA (territory includes District of Columbia and Puerto Rico).  

What are Carnet requirements for specific countries and EU?

Click on the below link for further information on EU and other countries in the scheme.

Carnet requirements for specific countries and EU

What is the Carnet security and why is it required?

The ATA Carnet provides a guarantee to the Customs of a foreign country into which the goods are temporarily imported that all duties, taxes etc. will be paid to them if the conditions under which they allow these into the country are breached. The Issuing Chamber must receive a security equal to the highest rate of duty and taxes applicable to the goods in any of the countries in the itinerary, and transit if applicable. 

Security can be provided in any of the following ways:

  • Banker's draft or cash (refundable once the Carnet has been returned and discharged)
  • Bank Guarantee from Bank of Scotland plc, Barclays Bank plc, HSBC Bank plc, Lloyds Bank plc, National Westminster Bank, TSB Bank plc, Santander UK plc, Standard Chartered Bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc
  • Carnet Security Scheme (CSS) Guarantee - an in-house service allowing the Carnet user to arrange for the security to be provided without having to supply either Banker's Draft, cash or Bank Guarantee. Using CSS, a non-refundable, one off payment means we can provide you with a 'While You Wait' processing service and there is no 'freezing' of assets or funds. 

How do I apply for CPD/China Taiwan Carnet?

CPD/China-Taiwan Carnets are used exclusively for temporary admission to Taiwan*

To apply for a Taiwan Carnet, please complete the below excel template and email to the team. We will verify whether the application has been completed correctly and send you a quote for the issuing fee and security as well as the relevant forms to be completed and signed.

*If your itinerary includes other Carnet countries, then you must also apply for an ATA Carnet.

CPD/China-Taiwan Carnets Template

Our Partners

© Copyright 2017 Glasgow Chamber of Commerce. All Rights Reserved.
Glasgow Chamber of Commerce is British Chamber of Commerce Accredited.
Website by Beam Digital and Design. SEO by Boyd Digital