Policy focus – General Elections 2017
British Chambers of Commerce – Brexit and Beyond
- Deliver a globally competitive business environment. Ensure the best business environment possible, with a relentless drive to improve the skill set of tomorrow’s workforce, without clobbering firms with ever-higher upfront costs
- Unlock the potential of local business communities. Deliver clarity on future devolution deals – ensuring a strong local business community voice and maintaining the place-based focus of the Industrial Strategy to ensure growth across the whole of the UK
- Revolutionise the UK’s physical and digital infrastructure. Ensure that the whole of the UK has access to super-fast broadband, better mobile connectivity, and deliver investments in the strategic schemes that will unlock the economic potential of the regions and nations
- Support UK exporters to drive economic growth. Expand trade support programmes, enabling continued access to existing EU-FTAs, and leverage Chambers of Commerce, which are best placed to provide strong export support in all regions of the UK
- Work with businesses to secure the best possible deal with the EU. Protect the status of EU nationals in the UK, develop future customs procedures
in partnership with business, deliver day-one regulatory stability when
the UK leaves the EU, and ensure that there is no hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
Scottish Chambers of Commerce - Making the Voice of Business Heard
- There must be an early deal on the future of EU workers.
- Scotland’s businesses must have full tariff-free access to the EU Single Market.
- Scotland, and Scottish business, must be fully represented in EU negotiations.
- Business rates cuts must take precedence over corporation tax cuts.
- National Insurance Contributions should be used to support investment in skills.
- VAT should be temporarily reduced.
The Operation of the UK Government in Scotland
- Create a modern and accessible Scotland Office.
- Develop a new partnership between the Department for International Trade and Scottish business.
- Ensure that the Industrial Strategy benefits the whole of the UK.