Glasgow’s Low Emission Zone (LEZ)
31 May 2023
Enforcement of Glasgow’s Low Emission Zone takes effect from 1 June 2023. Please see below relevant information from Glasgow City Council.
Glasgow's LEZ is being introduced in phases:
- Phase 1 (buses only) was introduced on 31 December 2018
- Phase 2 (all vehicles) is now in operation but will not be enforced until 1 June 2023
- Enforcement for vehicles registered to a residential property within the zone area will start on 1 June 2024
Glasgow's LEZ covers an area of the city centre bounded by the M8 motorway to the north and west, the River Clyde to the south and Saltmarket/High Street to the east.
CLICK HERE for an interactive map.
Petrol / Diesel Vehicles
Emission standards for LEZs in Scotland have been set nationally:
- Euro 4 for petrol vehicles
- Euro 6 for diesel vehicles
- Euro IV for heavy duty petrol vehicles such as buses/coaches and HGVs
- Euro VI for heavy duty diesel vehicles such as buses/coaches and HGVs
Vehicles which have been appropriately modified or retrofitted to meet or exceed these emission standards will also be permitted entry to LEZs in Scotland.
It is generally the case that diesel engine vehicles registered after September 2015, and petrol vehicles registered from 2006 onwards will meet the required LEZ standards.
Online Vehicle Checker
Fully electric vehicles comply with LEZ requirements in Scotland.
Vehicle exemptions (please see Glasgow City Council for further details):
- Vehicles for Disabled Persons - vehicle is being driven by any person who is in receipt of a badge (a blue badge) or a passenger in the vehicle has been issued with a badge
- Emergency Vehicles
- Naval, Military or Air Force Vehicles
- Historic Vehicles (30 years+)
- Showmen's Vehicles
Glasgow City Council can grant exemptions for up to one year for vehicles that do not meet LEZ regulations.
Penalties and Enforcement
Glasgow's LEZ will operate continuously - 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year round.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras linked to a national vehicle licencing database will be used to monitor vehicles driving into Glasgow's Low Emission Zone. They will detect vehicles which do not comply with the required emission standards.
When a non-compliant vehicle is detected in the zone, a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) will be issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle.
Glasgow's Low Emission Zone will be enforced from 1 June 2023.
From this date onwards, if a non-compliant vehicle is detected in our city centre LEZ, a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) will be issued to the registered keeper of that vehicle.
- Set at national level by the Scottish Government for consistency across cities, the initial penalty charge for all non-compliant vehicles entering a LEZ in Scotland will be £60 - reduced by 50% if it is paid within 14 days.
- A scheme surcharge means that the penalty amount will double with each subsequent breach of the rules detected in the same LEZ.
- Penalty charges are capped at £480 for cars and light goods vehicles, and £960 for buses and HGVs. Where there are no further breaches of the rules detected within the 90 days following a previous violation, the surcharge rate is reset to the base tier of charge which is £60.
Please see below links to funding options available from Energy Savings Trust:
- Energy Saving Trust is offering households, within a 20km radius of the low emission zones, up to £3,000 towards the safe disposal of non-compliant vehicles.
- Energy Saving Trust is offering micro businesses and sole traders, with an operating site within 20km of Scotland's low emission zones, a grant towards the safe disposal of non-compliant vehicles.
- The Low Emission Zone Retrofit Fund has now closed
- The eBike Loan is funded by Transport Scotland and can help you purchase a new electric bike, including cargo and adapted cycles.
- The interest-free eBike Business Loan is available to businesses in Scotland.
- The Used Electric Vehicle Loan is closed to new applicants.
- The Electric Vehicle Loan for new vehicles has now closed.
- The Low Carbon Transport Business Loan is closed to new applicants.