31 Oct 2018
The Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice (PPWH) opened the doors to its new state-of-the-art facilities earlier this week after raising more than £21 million over a six-year fundraising campaign, the Brick by Brick Appeal.
The Hospice, now based on a 7.5-acre site in Bellahouston Park, has been built around the Scandinavian Sengetun care model with adaptable private, family and social spaces designed to boost wellbeing and calm for patients and their families.
It is the first UK hospice to be built in this style, and will offer unrivalled palliative care and support to 1200 patients and families every year.
Rhona Baillie, chief executive of PPWH, said: “This is a fantastic day for the thousands of people who have supported the Brick by Brick Appeal over the past six years, for our staff and volunteers and, most importantly, for the patients and families we care for.
“This wonderful new building, located in a beautiful setting in one of Glasgow’s most-loved parks, will allow us to provide the very highest standards of palliative care.
“The support and generosity shown by all our donors across Glasgow, as well as the rest of the UK and abroad, has been absolutely overwhelming and we’re thrilled to finally be completing our move from our much-loved hospice in Carlton Place to our wonderful new building.”
It has also been announced that the new building will be named after Glasgow businessman Sir Arnold Cark, whose trust contributed a six-figure donation to the Brick by Brick Appeal.
Lady Clark, the chairwoman of Arnold Clark, commented: “The Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice is a hugely important facility offering the best palliative care to the people of Glasgow.
“We’re honoured to be part of its expansion and we are delighted to gift the Sir Arnold Clark Building and healing garden as part of Sir Arnold’s legacy to the city he loved.”