People Make Glasgow (Glasgow Life)
Glasgow Life is a charity which delivers services to both citizens and visitors to the city, providing opportunities through culture, sport and learning.
Last year, more than 18 million attendances were recorded at venues, events and festivals – up more than one third since 2007. Some 2,600 staff and 2,200 volunteers deliver services across 160 Glasgow Life venues.
Glasgow Life has responsibility for:
- Managing nine award-winning civic museums, including Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, the Riverside Museum and the Burrell Collection as well as the Kelvin Hall;
- The Glasgow Club – Scotland’s largest health and fitness network – including landmarks such as the Emirates Arena and Tollcross International Swimming Centre;
- The Mitchell Library and 32 Community Libraries, as well as community facilities across the city and a significant learning programme;
- Programming world-class music in venues such as the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, incredible art and exhibitions at Tramway and a number of cultural events, such as Celtic Connections, the Mela, the World Pipe Band Championships and the Merchant City Festival, among others;
- Leading partners in the delivery of Glasgow’s Tourism and Visitor Plan to 2023; positioning the city as a vibrant, first-choice destination for leisure and business tourists;
- Managing the city’s destination marketing and implementing the award-winning PEOPLE MAKE GLASGOW brand;
- Managing Glasgow’s Convention Bureau, which attracts more than 500 conferences to the city each year.
Glasgow Life helped to deliver the 2014 Commonwealth Games, the 2015 World Gymnastics Championships, Davis Cup ties and the 2015 IPC Swimming World Championships.
Looking ahead, Glasgow Life is supporting delivery of the Total BWF World Badminton Championships 2017, the inaugural 2018 European Championships – a major multi-sport event in partnership with Berlin – the European Indoor Athletics Championships 2019 and the UEFA Euro 2020 Championship.
For more information, visit www.glasgowlife.org.uk