Let The Games Commence!
Published by Anne Marie Hughes on Sat 09 Jun 12 @ 22:10
The countdown is on to the 2012 London Olympic and Paralymic Games. Not only are the Games the biggest sporting event on the planet, they are also the largest peace-time catering operation in the world!
The scale of the opportunity for food and drink is massive. Food quantities required for the Olympic Village alone include:
- 25,000 loaves of bread
- 232 tonnes of potatoes
- 82+ tonnes of seafood
- 31 tonnes of poultry items
- 100+ tonnes of meat
- 75, 000 litres of milk
- 19 tonnes of eggs
- 21 tonnes of cheese
- 330+ tonnes of fruit and vegetables
And we want to make sure that Scottish food and drink businesses benefit.
Why should Scottish food and drink companies get involved
The opportunities for London 2012 extend far beyond the duration of the Games. Being involved in the 2012 Games can help companies to:
- Understand and potentially access wider supply chain opportunities relating of the (Tier 1) contract caterers appointed for the Games, many of whom are key players in the foodservice market
- Be better placed to take advantage of the significant opportunities coming in 2014 when, in addition to Homecoming, Scotland will play host to the Commonwealth Games and the Ryder Cup
And the build up to The Games has already begun:
- Tier 1 catering contractors, many of the key players in the foodservice market, have been appointed
- The Torch Relay Route has been confirmed with dates in Scotland offering local businesses an opportunity to benefit (see Information and Key Facts below for details)
- Local and regional events are being planned as part of the Cultural Olympiad
But this is only the beginning. Looking ahead to 2014, Scotland will play host to the world through a series of major events:
- The Glasgow Commonwealth Games
- The Ryder Cup
These are key opportunities to showcase the fabulous produce Scotland has to offer and to enhance our reputation as a 'Land of Food & Drink.'
How can Scottish food and drink companies get involved NOW?
- Register on CompeteFor and the Glasgow 2014 Portal to keep up to date with relevant procurement opportunities. Please note that CompeteFor offers access not only to 2012 Games - related opportunities but a range of wider public sector procurement opportunities.
- Visit Business Gateway website for more information about London 2012 and Glasgow 2014
- Arrange a one-to-one business surgery with our specialist 2012 team
- Access contacts via the Scotland Food & Drink Access to Markets programme
- Find out about forthcoming events on the Scotland Food & Drink website
Or call one of the team
Head of Olympic and Commonwealth Games Legacy, Scottish Enterprise
Tel: 0141 228 2776
Access to Markets, Foodservice, Scotland Food & Drink
Tel: 0131 524 8644